Our Stories, Our World
Our Stories, Our World is a youth-led series of community-centered narratives about public safety, public health and public education. This six-episode podcast is a first-ever collaboration between Public Narrative and A Picture’s Worth, an Ohio-based nonprofit focused on strengths-based storytelling for community change. The series combines audio stories and photography to create a set of citizen-centered podcasts that flip the script on traditional media narratives--uplifting community perspectives rather than focusing on conflict.
Youth selected to participate include Kaylen Brandt (left), 17, of Chatham; Daniel Animashaun (center), 16, of Woodlawn; and Andrea Hernandez (right), 19, of Englewood. Our Stories, Our World allows them to highlight key narratives that add depth and context to critical issues. The series also features original music by Malci, a Chicago-based hip-hop artist, producer and co-founder of Why? Records.
The trailer launched Sept. 23, and episodes will be released every two weeks. Go to apicturesworth.org/publicnarrative to listen, or find the series on all podcast platforms. Email Mareva Lindo at mlindo (at) publicnarrative (dot) org for media inquiries or information about the podcast.
PODCAST RELEASE SCHEDULE & GUESTS:
- Oct. 7 - Episode 1: Shohn Williams, Dean of Students at Lindblom Academy, interviewed by Daniel Animashaun (Public Education)
- Oct. 21 - Episode 2: Rossana Rodriguez, 33rd Ward Alderwoman, interviewed by Kaylen Brandt (Public Education)
- Nov. 4 - Episode 3: Vanessa Westley, retired Chicago Police Officer, interviewed by Andrea Hernandez (Public Safety)
- Nov. 18 - Episode 4: Tynetta Hill-Muhammad, Chicago Chapter Organizer for Black Youth Project 100, interviewed by Andrea Hernandez (Public Safety)
- Dec. 2 - Episode 5: Taneka Jennings, Board Member, Adoptees for Justice, interviewed by Kaylen Brandt (Public Health)
- Dec. 16 - Episode 6: Shyam Prabhakaran, MD, MS, neurologist and researcher at University of Chicago, interviewed by Daniel Animashaun (Public Health)
Updates & Press
- Episode 2 release (10/21/21)
- Episode 1 release (10/7/21)
- Trailer release (9/23/21)
- Podcast announcement (6/24/21)
- WATCH: "Chicago youth shape public narratives in new podcast project" (FOX32)
- WATCH: Segment on Windy City Update (CAN-TV)
Youth Story-gatherers: Daniel Animashaun, Kaylen Brandt and Andrea Hernandez
Audio Editor: Samantha Gattsek
Music Composer: Malci
Artwork: Dan MacDonald Studios
Executive Producers: Mareva Lindo and Elissa Yancey